Thursday, September 25, 2008

Worldly Worries

I have to admit I have been pretty consumed with all the media, this week, about the financial crisis the United States is in. When you hear words like "depression" and " falling dollar" and "banks collapsing"--well it gets a little overwhelming and causes quite a bit of anxiety. This morning I was watching CNN and they had some "Expert" on telling us Americans what we need to do to protect ourselves as much as possible from all that is going on. I watched with eager eyes, as I waited for him to enlighten me with his expertise. These were his words of advice #1--get out of debt, especially credit card debt #2 Save money--spend less than you earn #3 have some cash on hand--do not have it all tied up in one place --Well, because of my membership in the LDS church I have had my church leaders giving me this exact same advice for years and years! I found myself realizing that nothing these so called "Experts" can tell me brings any kind of peace--I want to hear from my prophet--which I will in just two weeks! I remember a Stake Conference Adult Session Darren and I attended two years ago ( I think) and The presiding Bishop of the church, point blank ,told all of us, if any in the company had a sub-prime loan on their home to refinance as soon as possible. It is times like this I am reminded of one of my favorite scriptures--John 14:27--" Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Our savior is always the answer--even when our troubles are as " wordly" as they are in these times. He sends us prophets and apostles to warn us and guide as-- as I look back on financial decisions Darren and I have made in our lives, I can see the hand of the Lord so clearly. Not that we are rich as to things of the world, but we have enough for our needs. When we keep the commanments and have faith we are blessed with the peace that only He can give.

4 comments:

lisa said...

Aren't we blessed to have prophets? Many of my family and friends are not members and I honestly wonder where they turn for peace or what they think of at times like these. I cannot wait for conference! I wonder if anyone will address the current economic crisis directly.

Danielle and Fam said...

Love it...I am starving to hear from the prophet again, It seems like 6 months is getting too long in between. Im sure they will talk about it this conference, they do every conference if you are REALLY listening. We are possibly coming on the 11th and I'm wondering if there are any games that weekend we need to come to?

Devon said...

That was exactly what I needed to hear! I've been watching the news and it's been making me sick, but now I feel much better. I'm sure you follow spiritual trains of thought, because then I can read your blog and benefit from them!

Mindi B said...

Thanks for sharing all of that. Jason and I feel the same way. We have always made it a point to save for the future and have enough on hand for the present. I feel like we have been very blessed even though I would not say we are rich either. The economy still makes me nervous, but I know that we will be okay if we make good choices. (I would have no problem moving into something smaller if it was needed.)